The Domino Effect: Exposing COPD and Tobacco Risks
The Domino Effect: Exposing COPD & Tobacco Risks
The term “domino effect” has been used since the 1950s to describe the potential for political unrest to become contagious, resulting in a chain reaction. The phrase took on special significance during the Vietnam Era, when it was used to propagate the idea that a communist victory in Vietnam might embolden other communists in the region, prompting them to topple their own governments.
Today, we see the same phrase taking on special significance in the Public Health when The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) released a report last week, “Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2008,” confirming that Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) became the third leading cause of death in the U.S. for 2008.[ it was the 4th death cause].
With this data above, we are confirming 9 years in advance, the WHO’s prediction that it would happen only in 2020!
In a large field of dominoes, a number of domino paths can topple at the same time, and careful placement of the dominos can set off an entirely new chain reaction elsewhere.
So, the Governments and WHO need careful placement of the dominos in:
1) To popularize the Spirometry! A test to make the COPD diagnosis and stop its worsening course- This simple measure would permit treat the majority of COPD patients who does not have the disgnosis.
2) Point to the need for additional resources to target COPD research and interventions;
3)Approach to smoking Control and therapy for smoking cessation that involves the systematic smokers in well-structured programs in health services, with the use of cognitive-behavioral and pharmacological support with multidisciplinary team.
4)Smoking is responsible for causing 50 other diseases besides COPD. The women Lung cancer curve continues high inclined. So, another carefull atention to these domino piece must be urgent because this presents a spillover risk from one domino to another through a so-called trigger provoked by the marketing strategy of tobacco industry.
5) The UN and WHO need to convince some countries as USA and Argentina not only sign but comply with the determinations of the Tobacco Framework Convention Treaty,for the welfare of their own populations and also for the respect with public money.
By putting these pieces of security, we will have the hope and the chance to preserve the pulmonary atmosphere for the today children and for the tomorrow’s citizens.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) Report: “Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2008;
PULMAOSANEWS – PULMAOSA- Lungs, Your Atmosphere, Your Life®
- ASMA / ASTHMA (13)
- AULAS/ CONFERENCES (1)
- Câncer de Pulmão / Lung Cancer (14)
- CONSENSOS -Artigos/ GUIDELINES- Articles (9)
- Crianças/ Children (45)
- DPOC / COPD (60)
- DR./MD. (71)
- EVENTOS/ CONGRESS (12)
- H1N1 (40)
- Pare de Fumar / Quit (111)
- Principal (383)
- Pulmonology Pearls (2)
- Tuberculose/ Tuberculosis (3)
- DPOC: Quando preciso usar oxigênio?- COPD: When I need to use oxygen?
- Por que vacinar contra a gripe todos os anos?
- Tabagismo pode agravar a sua acne?
- Quando Devo Realizar um RX de tórax após uma Pneumonia?
- Quanto tempo após parar de fumar terei benefícios? -How long after quit smoking will I have benefits?
- Carta Aberta ao Congresso Nacional
- Dicas para aumentar a sobrevida da DPOC
- Tire as suas dúvidas sobre a gripe suína, ou influenza A (H1N1)
- Quantos anos o fumo envelhece?
- Vacina contra a gripe sazonal oferece proteção contra o H1N1 - Seasonal influenza vaccine offers protection against H1N1
- Rock dos Ácaros – Mites’ Rock
- A Importância da Nutrição na Cessação do tabagismo em Mulheres
- The importance of nutrition in smoking cessation in women
- Um sopro de esperança para a tuberculose
- A hope toward tuberculosis treatment
- Women who smoke like men die like men who smoke
- Pare de fumar e diminua as viagens à Lua
- Quit smoking and reduce the trips to the Moon
- Panorama do parar de Fumar nos USA: “Yes we can!
- USA and quit smoking: “yes we can!”
- CDC Recomenda Esquema de Vacinas para Adultos
- CDC recommends the adult Immunization Schedule for 2013
- Os Riscos e benefícios do Indacaterol – Uma Revisão do FDA
- The Risks and Benefits of Indacaterol
- Video On Planet Earth: Preserve the Pulmonary Atmosphere!
- Com a # Brexit, a #EMA entra no foco de #Portugal & #Lisboa twitter.com/dntwit/status/… - 6 days ago
- RT @Bill_George: #Mindfulness isn't just to be used at home - read how 10 mins of #meditation can help you solve problems at work: https://… - 1 week ago
- RT @PGeorgeMD: Interesting talk by Dr. Vandivier at @njhealth on effects of smoking and health impact of 2nd hand #smoking #lunghealth @Sur… - 1 week ago
- #Pneumo In #Rio #CFPE #FPI @Sopterj pneumorio.com.br lnkd.in/eX-AmHN - 1 week ago
- Agenda: Congresso de #Pneumologia do #Rio de Janeiro @Sopterj pneumorio.com.br - 1 week ago
- Why checking your #lung function is just as important as checking #bloodpressure? Via @NJHealth #IPF #COPD #CPFE ow.ly/V7aa308Flud - 1 week ago
- O papel da #mitocondria na #FPI / #CPFE buff.ly/2kwugVe lnkd.in/edMuTqh - 1 week ago
- Know how early detection of #lungcancer may improve odds of survival: bit.ly/2jzeUif #WorldCancerDay #NSCLC - 2 weeks ago
- In other words: "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now." -@Dr. Martin Luther Kin… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… - 2 weeks ago
- Interesting study finds US patients treated by #foreign-educated MDs have lower #mortality! bmj.com/content/356/bm… - 2 weeks ago
- Ocorreu um erro. É provável que o feed esteja indisponível. Tente mais tarde.
… do canal de notícias
- outubro 2013 (1)
- março 2013 (4)
- fevereiro 2013 (7)
- novembro 2012 (2)
- julho 2012 (2)
- junho 2012 (10)
- maio 2012 (10)
- abril 2012 (13)
- março 2012 (5)
- fevereiro 2012 (4)
- janeiro 2012 (1)
- dezembro 2011 (2)
- novembro 2011 (11)
- outubro 2011 (15)
- setembro 2011 (21)
- agosto 2011 (6)
- julho 2011 (7)
- junho 2011 (5)
- maio 2011 (6)
- abril 2011 (2)
- março 2011 (7)
- fevereiro 2011 (3)
- janeiro 2011 (6)
- outubro 2010 (8)
- setembro 2010 (5)
- agosto 2010 (4)
- julho 2010 (4)
- junho 2010 (8)
- maio 2010 (9)
- abril 2010 (12)
- março 2010 (9)
- fevereiro 2010 (9)
- janeiro 2010 (3)
- dezembro 2009 (9)
- novembro 2009 (9)
- outubro 2009 (23)
- setembro 2009 (29)
- agosto 2009 (37)
- julho 2009 (52)
- junho 2009 (25)
- Twelfth meeting of the Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulations (2015) regarding the international spread of poliovirus 13 de fevereiro de 2017
- Early cancer diagnosis saves lives, cuts treatment costs 3 de fevereiro de 2017
- WHO Executive Board announces the names of the 3 nominees for the post of WHO Director-General 25 de janeiro de 2017
- WHO Executive Board agrees on an initial short list of candidates to the post of WHO Director-General 24 de janeiro de 2017
- Mahmoud Fikri appointed as Regional Director for the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region 24 de janeiro de 2017
- Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) – Saudi Arabia 10 de fevereiro de 2017
- Yellow fever – Brazil 27 de janeiro de 2017
- Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) – Saudi Arabia 26 de janeiro de 2017
- Hepatitis E – Chad 24 de janeiro de 2017
- Human infection with avian influenza A(H7N9) virus – China 18 de janeiro de 2017
- MMWR: Characteristics of Electronic Cigarette Use Among Middle and High School Students—United States, 2015 29 de dezembro de 2016
- MMWR: Quitting Smoking Among Adults—United States, 2000-2015 5 de janeiro de 2017
- MMWR: State Medicaid Expansion Cessation Coverage and Number of Adult Smokers Enrolled in Expansion Coverage—United States, 2016 8 de dezembro de 2016
- MMWR: Consumption of Combustible and Smokeless Tobacco—United States, 2000-2015 8 de dezembro de 2016
- MMWR: Vital Signs: Disparities in Tobacco-Related Cancer Incidence and Mortality — United States, 2004–2013 10 de novembro de 2016
- 460,271 acessos